• Faithful to my Homeland, the Republic of Poland

  • There are 100 places available annually under this scheme to young citizens of New Zealand for a stay of 12 months in Poland.


    The Government of the Republic of Poland, through the Polish Embassy in Wellington, shall issue a residence visa for the purpose of participation in the Working Holiday Scheme to any person who satisfies each of the following requirements:


    • is a citizen of New Zealand and hold a New Zealand passport valid for at least three months after your planned departure from Poland.;
    • is coming to Poland to holiday, with work or study being secondary intentions for your visit;
    • is aged between 18 and 30 years old, both inclusive, at the time of application;
    • is not accompanied by dependants;
    • hold a return ticket or sufficient funds to purchase one;
    • have a minimum available funds to meet your living costs while in Poland;
    • hold medical and comprehensive hospitalisation insurance for the whole duration of your stay;
    • have not been approved a visa or permit under a Working Holiday Scheme before.




    • You are not allowed to take up permanent employment;
    • You can not work for the same employer for more than 3 months;
    • You can enrol in one or more courses of training or study up to 3 months’ duration in total during your visit



    Applications under this Working Holiday Scheme shall be made through the Polish Embassy in Wellington or if you currently reside overseas, you may use any Polish Consulate depending on the country where you live.

    You can use the MFA’s search engine to locate them:




    According to the current regulations, all documents have to be submitted in person. General information on Working Holiday Scheme visa requirements, application process and necessary list of documents you have to submit can be found under Visa application


    Once your application is approved, national D-type visa will be issued to you. National "D" visa is a long term visa for a stay over 90 and up to 365 days in Poland. This visa can only be issued by a Polish Consulate. The National visa can be granted as multiple entry visa.




    Visas are usually issued within 1 - 2 weeks.




    Register your place of residence:


    In Poland all citizens are obliged to indicate their place of residence and this rule also applies to foreigners staying in Poland for over 3 months. So the next stage of your registration is letting the City Council (Urząd Miasta/Urząd Gminy) know what is your place of residence.


    Get the PESEL number:


    Powszechny Elektroniczny System Ewidencji Ludności / The Universal Electronic System for Registration of the Population - is the national identification number used in Poland since 1979. The PESEL number is mandatory for all permanent residents of Poland and for temporary residents living in Poland for over 3 months. It always has 11 digits, identifies just one person and cannot be changed to another one. The initial 6 digits signify the person's date of birth - the first two the year, the subsequent two the month, and then the date.

    A PESEL number is usually required in most of the places: from governmental offices and banks to hospitals and work places or oven some of the gyms.


    The PESEL number is given automatically after registering your place of residence and the procedure does not require to fill out any other forms. Usually, it takes between 2 to 4 weeks for the City Council to issue you with the PESEL. You can pick up the documents with your PESEL number in person, however you will need to bring a document confirming your identity with you.

    As from 1st September 2011, Poland recognises as a Tax Identification Number the PESEL number issued to natural persons registered in PESEL register and who do not conduct business activity and are not registered for value added tax purposes.


    Other important websites where you can find more information on work, travel and life in Poland:




    Print Print Share: